I was pleasantly surprised this past week as I was twittering, to find a well organized blogging community in Venezuela. I'm surprised by it because of the results shown in the last few elections. My expectation was that the bloggers had either been quieted by the government or never really existed. I don't really have any other reason for my surprise, maybe that just shows my ignorance of social behavior.
Having such a large and well-organized blogger community in countries (such as Venezuela) where human rights and injustice is an every-day thing is extremely important. Giving individuals a voice creates a strong (much louder) voice in unison against an unjust system and eventually helps to turn the tide in the favor of a more just society. It takes time, but it has to start one letter, one word, one voice at a time.
Here are the bloggers I've met so far. Most of them are either in Venezuela or from Venezuela... but there are some from Chile, Spain, Colombia and Mexico. Their themes range from political to sensual to humorous and everything in between. Most of them are in Spanish (with some English mixed in sometimes). If you read Spanish, I hope you enjoy these:
1. Adrian Cachinero Vasiljevic in Madrid, Spain: http://gozkino.com/ (English)
2. Adriana in Caracas, Venezuela: http://www.cosascotidianas.com/
3. Adriana Gutierrez in Barquisimeto, Venezuela: http://adrigutierrez.blogspot.com/
4. Aimee in Caracas: http://bellaaimee.blogspot.com/
5. Alams Padron in Caracas: http://www.fotoparada.com/
6. Anabelle in Bogota, Colombia: http://www.huellaspyp.com/
7. Belkis Araque in Barquisimeto: http://belkisaraque.blogspot.com/
8. Bombom in Caracas: http://www.bombom.com.ve/blog/
9. Calendula in Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela: http://calendula.loquesea.org/
10. Cecilia in Madrid: http://laceci.blogspot.com/
11. Depeco in Caracas: http://depeco.blogspot.com/
12. Divina Cereza in Caracas: http://www.impulsosysentidos.com/
13. Edelweiss in Barquisimeto: http://edelweissvoice.wordpress.com/
14. La Mariposa Hily in Barquisimeto: http://mariposahippie.blogspot.com/
15. Francys Geisse Leon, a Venezuelan (Barquisimeto) in Florida: http://francyskadas.wordpress.com/
16. Geraldine Macias in Mexico City: http://sombrasydebrayes.blogspot.com/
17. Cleo in Maracay, Venezuela: http://cleo285.blogspot.com/
18. Hugo Londoño in Caracas: http://www.qtpd.com/blog/
19. Ira1 in Caracas: http://unpocotocon.blogspot.com/
20. Karelia in Barquisimeto: http://explikme.com/
21. Khabiria in Caracas: http://www.gorditalinda.com/
22. Florecita Yucateca in Mexico City: http://www.florecitayucateca.com/
23. Mariana in Argentina: http://serenatadiurna.blogspot.com/
24. Marole (from Maracay) but lives in Florida: http://marole.blogspot.com/
25. Miguel Angel in Villahermosa, Mexico: http://webmaac.blogspot.com/
26. Minelia "La Tati" Manrique (from Maracay) lives in Miami: http://www.latati.com/blog/
27. Nairoby Prato from Barquisimeto: http://maenairo.blogspot.com/
28. Naky Soto in Caracas: http://www.zaperoqueando.blogspot.com/
29. Nany Leon in Caracas: http://www.nanynany.com/blog/
30. Rosa Jimenez Cano in Madrid: http://www.ociocritico.com/oc/wp/
31. Wari in Caracas: http://sinrazonaparente.blogspot.com/
32. Yiyo in Caracas: http://www.deafindieelephants.com/ (English and Spanish)
This list includes only the ones in my Twitter account. If you visit their Web sites, you will see blogrolls that include many others. A lot of these bloggers also have Flickr accounts, they plan meet-ups and are involved in their communities.
Two things that jumped out at me when I created this list:
- 28 out of the 32 bloggers are women
- 7 out of the 32 bloggers are from (or live in) Barquisimeto, Venezuela. Barquisimeto has less than half the population of Caracas.
Both of these revelations may just be a product of the blogger community which I've encountered, but I found them interesting just the same.
If you know of other Venezuelan or Spanish-Speaking bloggers, please post a comment with their info and I will add them to the list.
Si conoces algun bloggero Venezolano o de habla hispana que debe ser incluida(o) en este listado, enviame su informacion en los comentarios abajo y lo(s) agrego a al listado. Gracias.