Ruby Sinreich was the facilitator for a session called "Don't Push the River, It Flows by Itself". With an interesting name... the idea behind it is to allow social networks to flow and naturally evolve.
Use and organize networks by the power of the individual which can grow to a large wave of support for a particular cause or goal.
What makes a network effective:
- Strong social ties -personal relationships, trust, awareness.
- Common story - shared values, collective narrative, language and words that resonate (tagcouds).
- Dense communication grid - online and offline: blogs, e-mail, IM, phone & SMS, face-to-face, twitter.
- Sharing culture - Opensourcy: data, information, skills & expertise, money, space (meeting rooms).
- Network awareness - feeling like a member, knowing what the network is for.
Some of the takeaways include:
- A better understanding of the different social networking sites and how to use them
- How social networking can impact the nonprofit world
- Strategies on how to use this medium for outreach and advocacy
Ruby is a wonderful and confident speaker - she is very active in the social media universe which is obvious in the delivery of this content.